The 5 Steps of Grieving
Grief is a complicated and a misunderstood emotion, but one we all will experience one time or another. Whether it is a loss of a loved one or some other loss, the stages of grieving are very real and must be completed in order for healing to occur. Not every person goes through each stage at the same time, it is different for each individual. You have to go through each one at your own pace and you may take two steps forward then one backwards, but you must complete the grieving process.
The 5 Stages of Grief are:
1. Denial. You can’t believe this is happening to you. You don’t accept or acknowledge your loss. No crying. You do not acknowledge the loss has occurred.
2. Anger. Why me? You feel like you want to fight back, get even, blame the deceased for leaving you.
3. Bargaining. Sometimes this take place before the loss. Attempting to make deals with God, begging, praying, wishing to stop or change the loss.
4. Depression. Overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration, bitterness, and self pity. Mourning the loss of hopes, dreams and plans for the future. Feeling numb and a lack of control.
5. Acceptance. You accept your loss, not just bear it quietly. You realize your beloved is gone, that it is not their fault, and they did not leave you on purpose.
If you are having trouble getting through each of these stages and cannot heal, please seek help. You will survive, you will heal – even if you can’t believe it right now. Feeling pain is normal, it proves we are human. You can experience happiness again, but you must heal first. You must find a way to bring something good out of this tragedy. Create a Personal tribute or Personalized Pet Memorial in honor of your lost loved one and put it where you can see it often, where it will be close to you, and will bring back fond memories of the wonderful times you spent together. This can help bring peace to your heart and complete the steps of grieving.